Friday 18 March 2011

"People will say we're in love." ~ Sir Anthony Hopkins as Dr. Hannibal Lecter




I always knew Sir Anthony Hopkins was a hottie. Now, many would find it rude that I'm putting only one character of his in this list, but honestly it's just because I love him so. Hannibal Lecter is considered the number one movie villain of all time, and if hadn't been for this absolutely magnificent man, we would not have gotten such an unforgettable portrayal of a brilliantly diabolical character.
I salute you Mr. Hopkins. Without you, there would never have been Hannibal Lecter. And that would have been a crime.

A look back...

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
"Closer, please. Clo-ser..."

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

"Quid pro quo, Clarice. Quid pro quo."

"We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don't your eyes seek out the things you want?"


Hannibal (2001)
"Your job is to craft my doom, so I am not sure how well I should wish you. But I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun. Ta-ta, 'H'."

"Now you're being rude, and I hate rude people."

"Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her and find nourishment in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars of his plight and ache for him?"

"You see, the brain itself feels no pain if that concerns you, Clarice. "


Red Dragon (2002)
"Remarkable boy. I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. "

'A robin red-breast in a cage, puts all of Heaven in a rage. Think to yourself that every day is your last. The hour to which you do not look forward will come as a welcome surprise. As for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me in fine state... fat and sleek, a true hog of Epicurus's herd."

"Have you seen blood in the moonlight? It appears quite black."

"You stink of fear Will, but you're not a coward. You fear me, but still you came here. You fear this shy boy, yet still you seek him out. Don't you understand, Will? You caught me because we're very much alike. Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards. Fear... is the price of our instrument. But I can help you bear it. "

"And be grateful. Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real."



       Doesn't he have the most amazing face? I feel like writing sonnets and odes on his piercing eyes, his devilish smile, and everything else that is Anthony Hopkins.
       Well, these were a few screencaps from the Hannibal films and some of my favourite Hannibal quotes. I don't own Hannibal and have only seen it once because frankly, I thought it was kind of disgraceful. I thought they made it especially gruesome to match the other so-called horror movies of the late 90s, and they had no need to that. Also I never thought that I would hate to see Julianne Moore in a film, but seriously Jodie Foster IS Clarice Starling, not Moore or anyone else. Similarly Anthony Hopkins IS Hannibal and not Gaspard Ulliel. Yes he is gorgeous and brilliant, but not the same type of adorable menace that Hopkins' Hannibal is. Thank god they made Red Dragon, which saved Hannibal from being remembered as a farce. I really love that film too, but obviously The Silence of the Lambs is the best and holds a special place in my heart and life-influencing films list.
        My absolute favourite Hannibal Lecter quote is the one I'm putting after this. The census taker one is a close second.

"Well, Clarice - have the lambs stopped screaming? "


This was part 5 of Favourite Actors who play Villains/Anti-heroes.

1 comment: