Friday 22 July 2011

Thoughts

Ugh...I'm thoughtless (is that even a word?), but anyways:


1) Yesterday I saw this Bollywood film called Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, which roughly translates to You Only Live Once. It was about these three men who go on a road trip in Spain for an extended bachelor party for one of them. The film was, most surprisingly, one of the best looking films of this year that I have seen. It had many non-Indian aspects...probably more global ones like relationships and workaholics, abandonment issues, cold feet before weddings, but it was fun. It was directed by Zoya Akhtar, and it did resemble her brother Farhan's (one of the leads in Zindagi...) directorial debut Dil Chahta Hai, which is one of the best films, Bollywood or otherwise, that I have ever seen. However because of the beautiful backdrops and cinematography, and a more emotional, less comedic purview, it was quite different. I won't say it was as good as Dil Chahta Hai- that film for me is flawless, but it was an honest effort to go into a new territory without making it cheap in any way. Even the little Flamenco+Hindi song number ended up being adorable instead of it becoming the infamous "item" number. Plus Hrithik Roshan's skin tone against the warm Mediterranean colours was quite something else. Another thing I really loved was the infusion of Javed Akhtar's (Zoya and Farhan's legendary father) poetry within key moments of the film, and a special appearance by the always spectacular Naseeruddin Shah. I like how Bollywood is trying to expand its limits nowadays and Zoya and Farhan may well be the pioneers in such a pursuit.


2) TRAILERS FOR LIFE!! Great week for trailers. Or teaser trailers...I dunno. Why not just give a trailer? These teasers can get annoying. Anyways...we saw the trailers of Martin Scorcese's Hugo, the last part of Nolan's epic superhero trilogy The Dark Knight Rises, Marc Webb's (no pun intended, or maybe intended...haven't really gotten to the bottom of that) The Amazing Spiderman and Cannes award winning director/Ryan Gosling's smooching buddy Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive. Hugo looks amazing, probably the best live-action children's film since Lemony Snickets: A Series of Unfortunate Events. I have never seen a non-serious Scorcese film, so this might be a welcome surprise. I love Asa Butterfield (and his name!). The Dark Knight Rises's teaser trailer is a bit meh, I agree; especially without any glimpses of Anne Hathaway as Catwoman or Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Marion Cottilard, but COME ON PEOPLE! It will be brilliant...I don't think I'm being that presumptuous in saying so. Will it surpass The Dark Knight...we'll see. I honestly don't have any such expectations because that is near impossible, but what I do expect is solid entertainment that will leave me completely gobsmacked by the end of it. And if anyone knows how to do that, it's Christopher Fuckin' Nolan. The Amazing Spiderman's trailer leaves me perplexed. I am one of those people who only liked Spiderman 1, and grew sick of Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst after that; and am now insanely in love with Andrew Garfield, and also Emma Stone to some extent. But even I must say that the last 30 odd seconds are too video game-y and well, annoying. But yes, I am dying to see this film- JUST LOOK AT HIM- bdiugbfklnkjbgviufhdxkihjfhjbgfdxjlkjyhegruhvchjbjc. However the king of trailers this week has to be Drive. It looks awesome! Slick, dangerous, sexy- fast cars and violent men, with a lot of Ryan "MyEarthquakeMan" Gosling in it...*swoon*. Gosling is made to do films like this, in my opinion- he has the cool, anti-hero, action movie star thing down. And I love Carey Mulligan forever also.


3) Guillermo Del Toro will be directing the new Beauty and the Beast film, with my dream woman Emma Watson as the female lead. Excited...I think yes! Just this week, after watching HP8, I was thinking about what would have happened if he did direct some of the HP films. I could obviously not come to any conclusion, just that it would have been really cool. Anyways, no Beast has been cast yet, to my knowledge. I personally think it should be someone much older to Watson. Fassy comes to mind, but he sort of shouldn't do it, because of all the ubiquity. Then again it is Del Toro, and one may never get a chance like that. I personally like the idea of Matthew Goode- he's a very sexy, very able actor, who has not been given the right role yet.


4) Teen Choice Awards is round the corner. Hurrah! I have been voting a lot, as it is my duty to exercise my rights as a teen. Best Category- Web Star! Guess who voted for Rebecca Black y'all?!


5) Finally, I love Tumblr...get to see such genius things there. For instance:
To Luke and Michael.


Over.

No comments:

Post a Comment