Tuesday 24 January 2012

OSCAR NOMS ARE OUT!

One question- what is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?
            This film has been absent from almost every awards or awards discussion that I have seen or read. And here it is, as one of the nine Best Film nominees. I mean they must really love Stephen Daldry (I shouldn't be one to talk- literally just finished The Hours and yes the film was tad bit better). Also Max von Sydow (who?) bagged the Best Supporting Actor nomination over the likes of Albert Brooks (whaaaaaat- grumblegrumblegrumble).


         Obviously Harry Potter didn't get much love (why oh why?), but the best thing EVER happened with Gary Oldman FINALLY getting nominated for his brilliant performance in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Potterheads and Sex Pistols fans are proud of you, Mr. Oldman. 


         I'm almost as excited for Rooney Mara as and in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids and Jessica Chastain in The Help. What I'm not happy about is the exclusion of the brilliant The Adventures of Tintin from the Best Animated film category and the overwhelming love for the sap-fest that is War Horse.


Okay so my Expectations vs Reality is as follows-


Best Film: 7 out of 9- I thought the Oscars was better than War Horse and again, what is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?


Best Director: 5 out of 5- Yes dreaming about Refn getting nominated was a bit of an overshoot, but yaay for Malick!


Best Actress: 5 out of 5- I did predict all 5, but I am saddened by the exclusion of Tilda Swinton and Kirsten Dunst, and the inclusion of Glenn Close. However, having seen The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo just yesterday itself, I am completely won over by Mara.


Best Actor: 4 out of 5- Demian Bichir got a nomination. No Golsing or Fassy, but Oldman is there, so yaay!


Best Supporting Actress: 5 out of 5- But what, no Shailene Woodley?! She was the best part of The Descendants! So happy for Melissa McCarthy.


Best Supporting Actor: 3 out of 5- Nick Nolte and Max von Sydow were not in my list, which is still wayyy better than this little Oscar thing.


Best Original Screenplay: 4 out of 5- Even though I do not like Bridesmaids so much and think Mean Girls was a far more superior film, it gives me joy to think of Kristen Wiig as an Oscar nominee. No Margin Call in my list, but good for the Oscars for nominating Asghar Farhadi for that beautiful script of A Separation.


Best Adapted Screenpaly: 4 out of 5- I did not even think about The Ides of March but yaay for TTSS!


Other ideas-
- Yaay for Jane Eyre and its nomination for Costume Design.
- Yaay for Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall for getting nominated again!
- Ugh that score for War Horse got nominated. I ask you- did you not expect the Von Trapp children to start singing suddenly from among the mountains whenever it played? And then they didn't even show up! Grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble.
- That song from Rio got nominated in which everyone sang, Including Jesse Eisenberg. Yaay for him!
-Hugo's 11 nominations!!
- I am sort of happy, and sort of pissed. The Academy has done its job. Yaaaayy! Now we wait for 26th February, and go a bit insane in the process.



6 comments:

  1. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is the film adaptation of Jonathan Safron Foer's novel of the same name. It is an unworthy candidate for the nominations as it does little justice to the book itself, an almost mediocre book in itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what it is. It was more of a rhetorical question :P
      I do want to read it still. Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  2. I'm the unpopular one who loved War Horse to pieces, but that score? Lord, that was not cool. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo's score was AMAZING.

    And yes, what is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close?

    I see you liked The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! YAYAYAYAY! Rooney Mara was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of people who like War Horse, so you are not alone. I think I am the unpopular one who hates it so. It was the wire-cutter scene- I wanted to kill someone. Ugh that score was cringe-worthy. And yes the Dragon Tattoo score is ahmazing.
      No idea. I have to watch it now, though Thomas Horn's face is stupid.
      I loved it. Saw it twice. Rooney Mara IS awesome!

      Delete
    2. War Horse wasn't as bad as all that. I liked it mostly, but it got far too sentimental and soppy for me at times. I even got a little teary when Albert had to say goodbye to Joey for the first time.
      I'm actually quite pleased about Glenn Close. She was brilliant in Albert Nobbs I thought! But I'm really bummed about Tilda Swinton, and the fact that We Need To Talk About Kevin wasn't nominated for ANYTHING! Not that there was any buzz about it, but it was a seriously brilliant film!

      Delete
    3. Well, I may have been a bit too harsh on War Horse. I was a bit sleep-deprived when I saw it. But man that wire-cutter scene just drives me mad- kill that scene!
      Let's continue to agree to disagree on Albert Nobbs :P
      Oscars are too dumb to realize the brilliance of Tilda and Kevin. C'est la vie.

      Delete